Janina Fisher – Helping Clients Who Can’t Feel
- Janina Fisher
- 2 Hours
- Audio and Video
- Mar 22, 2019
Nothing defeats a therapist more than a client who’s numb or disconnected. When you ask why they’ve come for help, they may say, “I’m depressed” or “I’ve lost all hope,” but they can’t describe how they feel.
How can we help clients like this deepen into the work of therapy?
This recording offers a body-centered approach to helping clients access emotion and connect to themselves in a way that can’t be defeated by numbing. You’ll learn to use simple movements and sensations as a therapeutic entry point to help clients appreciate how their bodies prevent them from experiencing the emotions they’re entitled to feel.
Why therapists need clients to ‘feel’
- What the client cannot feel is not available for treatment
- Therapeutic models emphasize emotional connection
The role of the autonomic nervous system
- Numbness and avoidance as autonomic symptoms
- How emotional numbing helps children survive
Sensorimotor Psychotherapy: a somatic approach
- Addressing numbness and ‘avoidance’ as somatic issues
- A somatic approach to increasing the sense of safety
- Using ‘feeling’ alternatives
- Integrating movement and play into psychotherapy
- Empowering clients to self-connection
Janina Fisher, Ph.D., is a licensed clinical psychologist and instructor at the Trauma Center, founded by Bessel van der Kolk, MD. A faculty member of the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute, an EMDR International Association consultant, past president of the New England Society for the Treatment of Trauma and Dissociation, and former instructor, Harvard Medical School, Dr. Fisher lectures nationally and internationally on the integration of the neurobiological research and new trauma treatment paradigms into traditional psychotherapies.
Speaker Disclosures: Financial: Janina Fisher is in private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Nonfinancial: Janina Fisher has no relevant nonfinancial relationship to disclose.
5 reviews for Janina Fisher – Helping Clients Who Can’t Feel
There are no reviews yet.